Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wyatt's Garden

With the summer weather finally smiling on us (at least it's just started in upstate NY:), I thought I would share a project Wyatt, Grampy, & I worked on in May.  When we moved in to our house almost a year ago, the former owners had an herb garden on the side of the house.  I know some of you would probably be so excited, but I don't know the first thing about herbs.  If it's not garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, or pepper, I'm probably not using it when I cook (yes, on those rare occasions when I am hands free and can actually prepare something before 9pm).  With that said, I decided to dismantle the garden (ok, tear out all of the herbs). but I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with the space so I left it alone.  In May I finally decided to make this a special space for Wyatt (my super active 18 month old who loves to dig whenever & wherever the mood strikes him).  My hope was to create a space he would :

1.  recognize as his own
2.  learn to care for
3.  contain his digging in one area
Wyatt's Garden
Let me just tell you that to say this space was a success is a gross understatement!  Wy absolutely LOVES his garden!  He waters the flowers (and seems to think that pouring dirt on them helps them grow too), he digs in the dirt, he kisses the frogs, & waves hello and goodbye to the garden.  It really makes my heart smile to see him so happy & independent.  (We had a playdate a few weeks ago and the two toddlers that visited loved watering the flowers too!)  It keeps him busy for hours. :)

If you'd like to learn more about the the materials I started with and what it cost, please click on the EVERYTHING KIDS tab.  You'll find Wyatt's Garden details listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment